Monday, February 28, 2011

Oscars 2011 red carpet with Colin Firth,

The Oscar acceptance speeches Sunday night were peppered with expletives, urges to dance and one hair-raising surprise.

Melissa Leo lead the pack of outspoken award winners, who included best actors Colin Firth and Christian Bale and a 34-year-old NYU Tisch School of the Arts student named Luke Matheny.

Check out the seven speeches that made the 83rd annual Academy Awards a little less sleepy:

-Melissa Leo goes wild: After a brief flirtation with presenter Kirk Douglas, Leo said "wow" several times before thanking the cast and crew and then looking up at the top of the theater. "Golly, sakes, there's people up there too," she exclaimed. She then proceeded to reference Kate Winslet, who beat her out to win best actress in 2009.

"When I watched Kate two years ago it looked so f---ing easy," she said, before being bleeped and throwing her hand to her mouth. She concluded by saying, "Thank you Academy because it's about sellin' motion pictures and respecting the work!" She then grabbed Douglas' cane to walk off the stage exclaiming, "Oh my God." According to Variety, hers was the first F-bomb in Oscar history.
-Colin Firth's entire speech: "I have a feeling my career's just peaked," he said upon winning the best actor award for "The King's Speech." "I'm afraid I have to warn you that I'm experiencing stirrings somewhere in the upper abdominals which are threatening to form themselves into dance moves, which joyous as they may be for me, they would be extremely problematic if they made it to my legs before I make it off stage." After thanking his cast and crew, he thanked producer Harvey Weinstein, "who took me on 20 years ago when I was a meer child sensation." He concluded, "Now if you'll excuse me I have some impulses I have to tend to backstage."


-Christian Bale skirts F-bomb, appears to forget wife’s name: Sporting a fiery red beard, Bale held his trophy for best supporting actor for "The Fighter" and thanked Leo, but said, "I'm not going to drop the F-bomb like she did, I've done that plenty before." He was also criticized for forgetting his wife Sibi's name but his rep told the Daily News he have just been choking back tears as he paused at her name and said, "I didn't think I was like this."

-Luke Matheny's hair quip: After the NYU student won the Academy Award for best live action short film for "God of Love," he hit the stage with a massive head of bouffante hair. "Oh, I should have got a haircut!" he said, looking shell shocked. "Finally thank you to my mother, who did craft services for the film," he concluded.

-Aaron Sorkin wants guinea pig respect: While accepting his award for best adapted screenplay for "The Social Network," Sorkin spoke out to his son and said, "Roxy Sorkin, your father just won the Academy Award, I'm going to insist on some respect from you guinea pig."

-David Seidler on being a late bloomer: After the 74-year-old "King's Speech" screenwriter accepted his award for best original screenplay, he said, "My father always said to me I would be a late bloomer," he said to laughs from the audience. "I believe I am the oldest person to win this particular award," he added. "I hope that record is broken quickly and often." He concluded by dedicating the award to stutterers (of which he was one), "We have a voice, we have been heard, thanks to you, the Academy."

-Tom Hooper thanks his mother: After alluding to the man-love trio he has mentioned before (Hooper, Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth), Hooper said that in 2007 his mother was invited to a fringe play of "The King's Speech" and, afterwards, she rang up Hooper and said, "Tom, I think I've found your next film." He concluded the story by saying, "The moral of the story is, listen to your mother."



colin firth
colin firth
colin firth
colin firth
colin firth
colin firth

0 comments:

Post a Comment